Ceragon enables tier-1 mobile operator in LATAM to Overcome urban 5G network challenges
Grow subscriber base | Reduce backhaul network complexity | Support network densification & capacity growth
A leading tier-1 operator in LATAM sought to grow its subscriber base in several countries across the continent, and expand the availability of its mobile broadband services in major cities. In planning for future growth, the operator was preparing for the introduction of ultra-high-speed Gigabit LTE and 5G.
As such, the operator faced a number of challenges:
- Answer forecasted growing demand of capacity in urban areas in its LTE-Advanced network, calling for wireless backhaul solutions with capacity above 1Gbps.
- Prepare for an upgrade of the wireless segments in its leased-fiber-based rings from 1Gbps to 10Gbps, as part of a planned upgrade to the entire ring.
- Reduce pole footprint as its network densifies in preparation for Gigabit LTE and 5G service launch
- Simplify its wireless backhaul network structure while avoiding multi-radio configurations.
5G capacity E-Band | Extended reach multiband | Lightweight single antenna
Ceragon allowed the operator to leverage the higher capacity and simplified configuration of its E-Band solution, while extending the reach of such links and keeping availability targets, utilizing its multiband solutions.
Ceragon enabled the operator to:
- Simplify its wireless network structure by moving away from multi-carrier microwave solutions (up to 6+0 links) that serve high-capacity paths in the urban networks to simplified E-Band and multiband solutions.
- Increase the capacity of its wireless backhaul infrastructure with Ceragon E-Band solutions, allowing the operator to achieve speeds of 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps. Moreover, as part of the fiber-based urban-backbone upgrade, the operator will be able to implement solutions of 10Gbps and 20Gbps over a single E-Band channel.
- Leverage multiband to increase the reach of the E-Band high-capacity solution, while maintaining the required SLA with enhanced availability thanks to the combination of a microwave carrier into the link. This solution also maintains a single-antenna approach with a unique multiband antenna, supporting 1 E-Band carrier and 2 microwave carriers in a 2-foot form-factor.
- Simplify site acquisition with the lightweight E-band solution, fitting a much smaller pole than the one required for a multi-carrier solution.
To learn more, read our white paper about a Multiband Solution for High Capacity and Reach Wireless Backhaul